Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Calendar Day

Yes, friends, we have a calendar! A beautiful, colorful calendar that brings me closer to my baby!
And what seems to be a very large number of syringes and needles.
I met with Connie at the clinic today and she told me all about my calendar and all the blood work, ultrasounds, meds and injections I'd be taking starting April 22. I understand everything, what each item is for and when and how to take it but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling a little overwhelmed. I've already looked at the calendar about 5 times, ok...more like 12. Yowza, that is quite a bit of time off work for blood work and appointments. And those needles for the intramuscular shots look a bit....loooonngg.

I knew that my lovely donor had a calendar meeting yesterday so I jokingly asked Connie if she was beautiful and intelligent, hoping to get some contraband info. She casually told me that when the donor came in for her first ultrasound a few weeks ago she was very quiet and standoffish and that she and the doctor even talked about it afterward wondering if she'd be ok with the whole donor process. My heart about stopped! After meeting with her yesterday, though, Connie said she was a totally different person and must have been really nervous about the first ultrasound. Of course she was! She's a young girl and we all know your first transvag isn't a party. Connie told me she feels good about the donor now. Whew!

I'm really feeling like I should write my lovely donor some sort of note of encouragement. It never occurred to me that she would be scared. But maybe it's best to leave it alone. I was planning on writing a letter after retrieval and keeping everything very anonymous up until then. I'll have to think about it.

4 comments:

  1. yay yay yay!!! So is there an expected transfer day?!?!? This is getting so close!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for all the goodies. I still have syringes coming out of my ears, especially after I cancelled my last cycle right after the pharmacy sent out the PIO. For the IM injections what gauge needle do you have? They always liked to send me 22 gauge and so I specifically would ask for the 25 as they are smaller and hurt less.
    As far as donor being nervous? I bet she is. I know the first time I had a transvaginal ultrasound was before IF and I was horrified. I came home and told boyfriend at the time that I never wanted to hear him complain about a prostate exam again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting and scary all at once! Honestly you will be great, one step at a time. The "big" shots don't come til retrieval so you have time to work up to it.

    I used to ask the nurse to give the donor my good wishes and encouragement - I hope she did. I never sent notes or anything until retrieval. You might ask Connie what she thinks. Good luck -

    ReplyDelete
  4. A calendar! Yay!!
    I think it's great you have an overall picture until the transfere, but agree it could also be overwhelming, so like musicmakemomma said, take it one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete